All reviews on this blog are games played on actual hardware with the exception of Arcade games (MAME). Games are picked at random and reviewed by me. If you would like me to review a specific game, Email me. If I own it, I will review it.

Total games currently owned = 10747

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Bionic Commando NES Review



This game was not a favorite of mine back when I was a kid.  It is difficult and tedious.  There is no password or save feature, and when you first start, no continues.  Your goal in the game is to infiltrate the enemies areas and save a guy named Super Joe.  You start with a gun, a communicator and a Bionic Arm which you can shoot out and swing from things and go up to other platforms.  It takes a lot of practice to get proficient with the grappling arm.  There are times when this game is so frustrating that you just want to give up.  I can understand why I didn't like it too much when I was a kid.  Now, I think the game is awesome!  You travel to different areas by helicopter and sometimes run into convoys on the map.  When you run into a convoy, you have to fight them.  This fight is a top down, top scrolling, 360 level kind of like the original Commando.  This level is where you can get up to 2 continues per level.  This game has lots of weapons upgrades and although some of the levels are short, they are very challenging.  You can't just run through the game, you actually have to think.  You have to revisit some areas and also use certain special weapons to advance.  You also get bullets when you kill enemies which are like experience points.  If you collect enough of them, you level up and get another bar on your health meter.  Awesome concept to mix in RPG elements into a platforming adventure game.  Overall, I give this game a 9 out of 10 stars.  It would have gotten a perfect 10 if it had a password feature or a save feature and if it wasn't so damn hard.  Seriously, there are points in the game that are absolutely ridiculous.  I won't spoil the ending for you but it is awesome and challenging.  Pick this game up if you have the chance, I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment