All reviews on this blog are games played on actual hardware with the exception of Arcade games (MAME). Games are picked at random and reviewed by me. If you would like me to review a specific game, Email me. If I own it, I will review it.

Total games currently owned = 10747

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Yars' Revenge Atari 2600 Review



This is a basic, simple game for the Atari 2600.  Atari 2600 games don't really get too involved.  Usually what you see is what you get.  This game is basically this screen and when you clear it, it goes to the next.  There is a screen with fixed blocks and a screen with moving blocks.  The point of the game is to fly your alien bug around and shoot holes in the wall to expose the "enemy".  If you touch the floating minus sign, you die.  It tracks you everywhere you go.  The colorful region in the middle is a safe zone which the minus sign cannot hurt you.  Every so often the "enemy" behind the wall will start spinning and shoot out after you.  You can scroll from the bottom to the top and vice versa.  The only way to clear the screen and move onto the next is to shoot a missile at the "enemy" and kill him.  The way to do this is to either peck at the wall or touch the enemy.  A missile will appear at the left of the screen and you can then shoot it at the "enemy".  The only catch is that the screen is moving up and down so you have to time it just right.  You can also kill yourself by being hit by the missile.  I am not sure if there is a way to finish the game or not.  I usually only make it to about the 5th screen before my game is over.  It does get harder and faster with every new screen.  Overall, I give this game a 7 out of 10.  Pretty decent for a 2600 game.  The sound is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment