All reviews on this blog are games played on actual hardware with the exception of Arcade games (MAME). Games are picked at random and reviewed by me. If you would like me to review a specific game, Email me. If I own it, I will review it.

Total games currently owned = 10747

Saturday, November 9, 2013

GunNac NES Review

This game is a shooter.  I love shooters.  Many people have not played this game before because of its rarity.  As of this review, prices on Ebay range from $79 to $167 for a loose cartridge.  I was lucky enough to get my copy for $7.50 at a garage sale.  The lady wanted $25 because she looked it up online she said.  This was a recurring barn sale where I saw this game for months.  She also had Tombs & Treasure another rare NES game.  I talked her down to $15 for both which was an awesome deal.  I told her that I had seen it there for months and it is not selling.  Anyway, this is a pretty awesome shooter.  I just re played through it tonight without dying.  I amassed over 4 million score and had 34 ships when I beat it.  In my opinion this game is the fastest you will see on the NES with no slowdown at all, no matter how many sprites are on the screen at once.  The game plays like a cross between Blazing Lasers on the TurboGrafx 16 and The Guardian Legend for NES.  The power ups are good and can be utilized for many different areas of the game.  there are mini bosses half way through every level with 8 levels total.  The 8th level has 4 mini bosses however.  The game play is awesome, the graphics are top notch for the NES and the music and sound is great.  My only beef with the game is that it is too easy.  It might have been nice to include a difficulty select mode to make it harder.  You can upgrade your weapons between stages in a shop using money that you collect during levels.  Overall I give this game a 9 out of 10 on the Jason scale.  It would have gotten a perfect 10 if it were just a bit more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment