All reviews on this blog are games played on actual hardware with the exception of Arcade games (MAME). Games are picked at random and reviewed by me. If you would like me to review a specific game, Email me. If I own it, I will review it.

Total games currently owned = 10747

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Zaxxon Atari 2600 Review

What can I say about this game?  Not much.  It is basically River Raid with horrible graphics and game play.  The only difference is the elevation / 3D control.  I never really cared for the arcade game and this version just plain sucks.  It is not even remotely fun or enjoyable to play.  I did have the C64 version when I was a kid and played that quite often.  It seems like the makers of this game focused everything into the elevation / 3D aspect of the game and just let everything else go to shit.  I understand the 2600 had its limitations but it seems like they could have done way better with this game.  They would have been better off to maybe make it a side scroller and called it Zaxxon 2 or Super Zaxxon or something and not tried to make a port of the arcade.  They failed miserably on this game.  I give it a 1 out of 10 only because the only other game I know of to use the elevation / 3D feature on the 2600 is desert falcon which came out way later.  I believe this game was the first to use that feature / novelty.

Here is a pic of the cartridge.




No comments:

Post a Comment